ss_blog_claim=6d539eb724f5bfc0336f5c7ab9fdc177

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My Top 20 Songs (20-11)

Several people commented that they liked my earlier post on my top 20 games. I think the post has accomplished its purpose; it brought back memories of my youth, and maybe yours too, well, if you're like me who's twenty something...

Needless to say, my first Top 20 listing was definitely a long one. This new Top 20 will probably run several lines shorter than the original.

I am posting some of the more memorable lines of my favorite songs. Go ahead, sing with me...

20
Unwritten

Artist: Natasha Bedingfield



This song is about a person's future and how he can shape it because, well, it is still after all, unwritten. Personally, I like how "tomorrow" is personified in the song as being unwritten. Here are my favorite lines of the song:

I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined

I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned


[...]

Feel the rain on your skin

No one else can feel it for you

Only you can let it in

No one else, no one else

Can speak the words on your lips

Drench yourself in words unspoken

Live your life with arms wide open

Today is where your book begins

The rest is still unwritten



19
And I Am Telling You

Artist: Jennifer Hudson (from the movie Dreamgirls)



According to some critics, the movie Dreamgirls is actually based on the story of one of the most popular Motown groups of the 70s--the Supremes. And I Am Telling You (I Am Not Going) is one of the most popular songs of Effie White--singer and member of the girl group The Dreams--whose story is chronicled in the story.

The song has become my favorite because of the way it has been sung by all singers who sing the song. The song has power and emotion, and I believe those are two elements that make this song a classic.

And I am telling you

I'm not going
You're the best man I'll ever know
There's no way I can ever go
No, no, no, no way,
No, no, no, no way I'm livin' without you
I'm not livin' without you
I don't want to be free
I'm stayin',
I'm stayin'
And you, and you, you're gonna love me
Ooh, you're gonna love me

18
In My Place

Artist: Coldplay



Unlike many other forms of music, rock has lyrics that is direct-to-the point, yet still figurative and artistic. Rock is to music as free verse is to poetry.

Coldplay has always been one of my favorite bands. Aside from this song, I also like The Scientist and Clocks. It just gives me the chills the way they make melodies for their songs. Experimental and very emotional.

In my place, in my place
Were lines that I couldn't change
I was lost, oh yeah

I was lost, I was lost
Crossed lines I shouldn't have crossed
I was lost, oh yeah

Yeah, how long must you wait for him?
Yeah, how long must you pay for him?
Yeah, how long must you wait for him?

17
Time To Say Goodbye (Con Te Partiro)

Artist: Andrea Bocelli



I am fortunate to have been raised with a tolerance and appreciation for many forms of music. And this appreciation has grown out of curiosity with the textures, meanings and shades of various musical forms and structures.

When I was younger, classical music meant music studied in school--Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven, Johann Sebastian Bach, and Peter Tschaikovsky. As I grew older, I became more exposed to several types of music and with that my knowledge on classical music has grown further. Andrea Bocelli is currently one of my favorite classical artists and the song Con Te Partiro is one of my favorites.

Quando sono sola
Sogno all'orizzonte
E mancan le parole
Si lo so che non c'e luce
In una stanza
Quando manca il sole
Se non ci sei tu con me, con me.
Sulle finestre
Mostra a tutti il mio cuore
Che hai acceso
Chiudi dentro me
La luce che
Hai incontrato per strada

Time to say goodbye
Paesi che non ho mai
Veduto e vissuto con te
Adesso si li vivro.
Con te partiro
Su navi per mari
Che io lo so
No no non esistono piu
It's time to say goodbye

16
One Day In Your Life

Artist: Michael Jackson



Back in the 80s, Michael Jackson was a byword among the youth. His songs topped the charts, one after another. This is my most favorite Michael Jackson song and it does bring back memories, whenever I look back, I remember...

One day in your life
You'll remember a place

Someone touching your face

You'll come back and you'll look around you

One day in your life
You'll remember the love you found here

You'll remember me somehow

Though you don't need me now
I will stay in your heart
And when things fall apart
You'll remember one day


15
The Prayer

Artist: Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli/Charlotte Church and Josh Groban



I don't know how many times I have sung The Prayer in weddings. I think the appeal of this song is in the way it exudes class when you sing it. Aside from that it's a display of vocal prowess of the singers.

The message the song delivers to its listeners is that of hope, in a love, a partnership that will definitely outlast the darkness and chaos of the world.

I pray you'll be our eyes
And watch us where we go

And help us to be wise

In times when we don't know

Let this be our prayer

As we go our way

Lead us to a place

Guide us with your grace

To a place where we'll be safe


[...]

Sogniamo un mondo senza piu violenza

Un mondo di giustizia e di speranza

Ognuno dia la mano al suo vicino

Simbolo di pace e di fraternita


[...]


E la fede che

Hai acceso in noi
Sento che ci salvera

14
You Raise Me Up

Artist: Josh Groban



I saw Josh Groban for the very first time on Ally McBeal. As Malcolm Wyatt, he captivated audiences world over with his powerful rendition of his song, You're Still You. He appeared again on the David Kelley show this time performing To Where You Are.

Since then, the 27-year old baritone has had other chart toppers. But my favorite, for its relative simplicity and undeniable charisma is You Raise Me Up.

When I am down and, oh my soul, so weary
When troubles come and my heart burdened be
Then, I am still and wait here in the silence

Until you come and sit awhile with me


You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders

You raise me up to more than I can be

13
My Immortal

Artist: Evanescence



The song My Immortal for me is an experiment to mix rock and classic tones into pop rock. And in my opinion, Evanescence succeeded with their experiment.

Back in the glory days of free MP3, this was the biggest MP3 I had ever downloaded. It was a whopping 10 MB, but when it got played on my machine which had a 5.1 Altec Lansing speaker set, it was worth it.

I'm so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears

And if you have to leave

I wish that you would just leave

'Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won't leave me alone

These wounds won't seem to heal

This pain is just too real

There's just too much that time cannot erase


When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears

When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears

And I held your hand through all of these years

But you still have

All of me

12
Nothing Else Matters

Artist: Metallica



The introduction of the song is sometimes a huge factor in making one like it. And for me, this was the reason why I learned to like this Metallica song.

So close, no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart

Forever trusting who we are
and nothing else matters
Never opened myself this way

Life is ours, we live it our way

All these words I don't just say
and nothing else matters

Trust I seek and I find in you

Every day for us something new

Open mind for a different view
and nothing else matters

Never cared for what they do
Never cared for what they know

But I know

11
Every Little Thing

Artist: Dishwalla



Sometimes rock music conveys the best messages. This song is one of those rock songs that makes you feel the mood of the song through its lyrics, arrangement and vocal rendition.

Let me in

To see you in the morning light

To get me on and all along the tears they come

See all come
I want you to believe in life
But I get the strangest feeling that you've gone away

Will you find out who you are too late to change?


I wish I could be

Every little thing you wanted

All the time

I wish I could be

Every little thing you wanted

All the time

Some times

No comments: