April 22 is designated as the annual celebration of Earth Day. Though astronomers claim that there are many more planets like Earth around the universe that have the conditions for life to exist, so far we only know of one planet that supports and sustains life--ours. Thus, it is our duty to protect and love our planet before our activities put an end to the one home we know.
The latest and perhaps most dangerous problem our race is facing today is global warming. But with everybody's help, we can survive another phase in our history.
Here are ways to fight global warming.
- Educate yourself about global warming. Learning about what it is will make us aware of the consequeces of all actions we do to our planet.
- Recycle. Burning trash is one of the reasons why carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases fill up our atmosphere and prevent heat from escaping.
- Use compact fluorescent lamps instead of incandescent bulbs. CFLs release less carbon dioxide than traditional bulbs, are brighter and more cost efficient.
- Use recycled paper. The cost burning carbon dioxide into the air is less when recycling paper.
- Unplug unused electrical appliances. Even when electronic devices are turned off, they use energy.
- Ride a bicycle. Unlike cars, buses and other means of pbulic transport, a bike does not give off carbon dioxide emissions.
- Take public transport. Taking the bus, the train, the subway or other forms of public transportation lessens the load on the roads and reduces one's individual greenhouse gas emissions.
- Minimize your vehicle's impact to global warming. Make sure that your car is fuel efficient so that it reduces carbon dioxide emissions.